Global business and talent attraction taskforce
As part of the Australian Government’s multi-pronged strategy to boost the economy and prosperity across the nation, on 4 September 2020, the Hon Alan Tudge MP, Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs, and Senator the Hon Simon Birmingham, then Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, jointly announced the new Global Business and Talent Attraction Taskforce (‘the Taskforce’).
The Taskforce, hosted by the Department of Home Affairs, partnering with Austrade, is leading a whole-of-nation campaign to identify and attract exceptional talent and high-value businesses from around the globe to Australia to boost the nation’s pandemic recovery.
Companies and individuals who qualify will have access to:
- Streamlined pathways to permanent residency
- Bespoke advice on how and where to relocate
- Industry-specific contacts and support to help companies and individuals find the right location and networks; and
- End-to-end service with a single point of contact.
The Taskforce is working closely with the states and territories to draw on their deep networks and dedicated investment attraction efforts and with industry leaders and the private sector to ensure a Team Australia approach. The Taskforce will help:
- Grow the number and quality of jobs in Australia
- Build national resilience and self-reliance by filling critical gaps in Australia’s supply chains
- Expand the capacity of Australian businesses through strong partnerships with global firms
- Expand the channels of capital available for investment in strategic growth sectors; and
- Complement and deepen Australia’s knowledge and talent pool.
The Taskforce will build on Australia’s competitive advantages as a business and migration destination, which has been amplified by the nation’s effective response to COVID-19.